Let the good times roll! …or as they would say in New Orleans, “Laissez le bons tems roule!”
Mardi Gras is here, and with a considerable amount of the festivities focused on food – let’s join the fun and make a deliciously vegan jambalaya. I love using the crockpot, because it makes cooking simple… the less work we have to do, the better : )
- 6 oz soy chorizo (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 cup okra
- ½ onion
- 3 celery ribs (about 1½ cups)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 16-oz can diced tomatoes & green chilis
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cooked cilantro rice
- Begin by cooking the chorizo in a skillet on medium-high heat. Let simmer until brown, then place in the crockpot.
- Next, dice the bell pepper, okra, onion and celery, and mince the garlic. Add all these veggies to the crockpot, then pour in the diced tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Add the seasoning and give the vegetables a nice stir.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for about 2 hours (I like my veggies to still have a little crunch).
- Mix in the cooked rice and.... laissez les bons temps rouler!