Let the good times roll! …or as they would say in New Orleans, “Laissez le bons tems roule!”
Mardi Gras is here, and with a considerable amount of the festivities focused on food – let’s join the fun and make a deliciously vegan jambalaya. I love using the crockpot, because it makes cooking simple… the less work we have to do, the better : )
- 6 oz soy chorizo* (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup okra, ½" inch rounds
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs (about 1½ cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16-oz can of Rotel (diced tomatoes & green chilis)
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cooked cilantro rice
- Begin by cooking the chorizo in a skillet on medium-high heat. Let simmer until brown, then place in the crockpot.
- Next, add the diced bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic and okra to the slow cooker. Then, pour in the diced tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Add the seasoning and give the vegetables a nice stir.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for about 2 hours (I like my veggies to still have a little crunch).
- About 30 minutes before the jambalaya will be served, mix the cooked rice into the slow cooker and.... laissez les bons temps rouler!
*if you aren't a fan of soyrizo, add a can of drained and rinsed red kidney beans instead for that punch of protein