By far, my favorite breakfast indulgence is sausage :) mmm, mouth-watering. Even just the smell of sausage takes me back to a fond childhood memory… daddy-daughter breakfast dates. When I was a little girl, every Tuesday morning before school started, my dad and I would drop my older sister off for choir practice. And with about an hour to kill before my school started and he went off to work, we would head to “Calloway’s,” a little breakfast diner right around the corner from my school.
It was our special time… a memory I will forever cherish. My dad always made me feel so special and important, discussing whatever topic I found interesting that morning (which who knows what that was as a 7-year old), and letting me order whatever I wanted off the menu… which was always simply two sausage patties and gravy on the side (like a good ol’ Texas girl, lol). It even came to a point where we could walk in, sit down and our waitress knew both our orders by heart. I still remember at that point, feeling like I had really “made it” so to speak :) So this recipe is for me and my dad… so we can still have our breakfast sausage, just with a healthy spin.
Hemp seeds have many benefits, including aiding in digestion, weight loss, preventing arthritis, balancing hormones, helping in skin/hair/nail growth, strengthening the immune system, and overall heart health. So let’s enjoy this little weekend brunch treat.
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp rubbed dried sage
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tsp smoked black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbs. masa harina
- 1 cup hemp seeds, shelled
- 1 15-oz. can pinto or kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 tsp olive oil, plus ¼ cup more for cooking sausages, optional
- To make the Spice Liquid, place all the spices and maple syrup in medium bowl, and stir in 2 cups boiling water. Set aside 5 minutes to steep and develop flavor.
- To make Sausage Mix, stir 1 cup warm Spice Liquid into masa harina. Let stand 5 minutes to rehydrate masa harina, then stir in hemp seeds.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ½ cup beans and ⅓ cup Spice Liquid. Using potato masher or back of spoon, mash beans into Spice Liquid. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until liquid evaporates, stirring frequently. Add ½ cup beans and ⅓ cup Spice Liquid, and mash and cook again, stirring. Add remaining ½ cup beans and remaining ⅓ cup Spice Liquid, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until mixture is thick and dry.
- Stir bean mixture into masa harina mixture. Cool, or refrigerate overnight.
- Use damp hands to shape Sausage Mix into 2-inch patties or small links.
- Coat non-stick skillet with cooking spray, or heat ¼ cup oil, if using, in skillet over medium heat. Cook sausages 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until deep brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Cool 3 to 5 minutes before serving.