Gunner is officially 4 months old! So, of course, we had to celebrate by doing some cooking together :) This recipe is great for any dogs who suffer from allergies, like grains or chicken products. Even better, it only requires 4 simple ingredients – beans, banana, peanut butter and apple sauce. But if your pup doesn’t mind chicke n products (and you don’t mind feeding it to him), you can always use on egg in place of the apple sauce. I just don’t keep eggs in the house, and didn’t want to run out and buy a dozen eggs for this one recipe.
And before you even ask… yes, of course I tried one :) I mean, come on, did you read the ingredients? To be honest, they weren’t too bad as people food, but Gunner likes them a whole lot more than I do!
Side Note: Although this is made without any added sweeteners, always feed in moderation.
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- ½ ripe banana
- ¼ cup all-natural creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup all-natural apple sauce, no sweeteners added
- After rinsing and draining the black beans, place them in a blender or food processor and blend into a thick, paste-like mixture.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and blend together.
- Once the ingredients are combined, place in the refrigerator for about an hour to allow the dough to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Using a teaspoon, form balls with the dough and place on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove and press the center down using a fork or back of a spoon.
- Cook for another 10 minutes, then remove and flip the treats over.
- Place back in the oven for a final 15 minutes (making the total cook time about 40 minutes).
- Let cool, and treat your puppy!