In my opinion, it’s never too hot for some of Tex-Mex’s finest… Tortilla Soup! Growing up, my mom would make some of the best chicken tortilla soup… so hearty and delicious! Think you know what I’m talking about… when you take the spoon to your lips, it just feels like a big, cozy hug.
I was craving some of that good-feeling soup this week, so decided to put my own twist on momma’s recipe… taking out the chicken (of course), but also adding some beans and hominy for that hearty texture and comfy flavor we crave.
And of course, I couldn’t miss out on this opportunity to introduce y’all to the newest member of The Veggie Girl team… meet Gunner! He is my precious, newly adopted goldendoodle, and my heart could not be happier. I’ve had him for a little over a month now, and he is growing like a wild weed! So you should be seeing more of him in posts coming soon! (for more photos of me, Gunner and some tasty treats, follow me on instagram @theveggiegirl) Until then, enjoy this warm, spicy taste of the South.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 purple onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Rotel (diced tomatoes & green chiles)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can hominy, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp pink himilayan sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot, over medium-high heat. Saute the onions & garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are slightly translucent.
- Add the Rotel, black beans, hominy, corn, vegetable broth, seasoning, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes on low.
- Remove from the stove and you are ready to serve some delicious tortilla soup! Try topping it off with diced avocado, cilantro, and crispy tortilla strips. ¡Muy delicioso!