I’ll be honest, there are a few foods this Texas girl can’t live without (and I know my southern ladies will back me up)… grits, cornbread, some form of chili, potato salad and fried okra. I blame the South for my love of all unhealthy foods. It’s just how we were raised!
Thank goodness for this tasty alternative to fried okra. Now we can have that deliciously crispy, crunchy taste without all the added grease.
- 40 pods of okra
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup almonds
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- dash of cayenne pepper (or more if you life it spicy!)
- First, preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Wash the okra and cut off the stems. Next, cut the okra into 1" pieces. This is the perfect size to pop into your mouth without making a mess.
- Place the okra in a gallon-size plastic baggie and add the olive oil. Seal the baggie and shake so that all the okra gets covered with the oil.
- Place the almonds and all the spices into a food processor and process into a fine, almond meal texture.
- Move this almond meal into a large bowl and add the okra. Stir with a wooden spoon until all the okra pieces get coated with the almond mixture.
- Toss the almond-covered okra pieces onto a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 400 F for about 20 minutes, gently tossing the okra halfway through baking.